Monday, September 3, 2012

Altering a Shirt

I've been looking for a nice white shirt for a few weeks now. Dave's family is doing family pictures in September, and I needed one to wear to match Logan. I've been all over every store to try to find something cute and inexpensive. After getting desperate, I tried the thrift store and even Kmart.

I found a shirt on clearance at Kmart. It was cute, but didn't fit me right. This happens to me all the time. My figure is more of an inverted triangle than anything else (ie. my shoulders are wider than my hips). So when I put on a button up, it fits my shoulders, but my waste is swimming.


So when I found this shirt, I thought to myself, I can fix that. As can you with whatever happens to be your body challenge.  I started by putting the shirt on inside out, and pinning the sides to where I thought it needed to be. Flip the shirt the right way, and see what you think. 


I decided also to increase the tucks in the back to give me a little more of a waste without it looking like I did that from the front. Sew down these lines, press your sewing and try the shirt on again.


If you want, you can trim down and zigzag the edges so you don't have such large seams. I leave them in, because you might need to take them back out later. You never know ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment