Friday, September 21, 2012

Quilting Table (free tutorial)


When you machine quilt the top of a quilt, it's helpful to have a quilting table. This allows you more space to maneuver the material, as well as keeps the weight of your material from messing up your stitch length. 


My mom has a lovely one that was made for her machine and cost her $100... Since I knew we couldn't afford that, I decided I could make my own!

Now I know you might not be a gifted woodworker, but this project really isn't as hard as it sounds. With the help of my husband, this was completed in a few hours and only cost us $8. Pretty good if you consider the alternative.

Supplies:
Wood (22 x 24)
Wooden Dowel (3/4 inch diameter)
Grippy shelf or drawer liner
Wood Glue
Shoe Goo

I found a piece of fake shelving in our garage that had a lovely lip already placed on it. It measured 22 inches wide and much longer than we needed. So I cut it down to 24 inches (finishing 22 x 24).

I then measured the shape and size of my machine, and had my husband cut out that shape with a jigsaw. I rounded the corners, since my machine has rounded edges.

Then we flipped over the board, drilled 1/4 inches down into the wood with a 3/4 drill bit. This size matched the size of the dowels I chose to use. finally I measured the height I would need the table to be, subtracted the height of the wood board, and cut the dowels the remaining height.


I glued the dowels into the holes (using wood glue). Then I stuck a piece of that drawer liner grippy stuff on the bottom of the dowel (using shoe glue, but any glue should work).

We let it all dry over night, and VOLA! I have a cool new table. It has worked great for machine quilting.



2 comments:

  1. thank you for the tutorial it's very helpful, I need to have one !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bien fait et très utiles

    ReplyDelete