Friday, October 12, 2012

Men's Shirt to Modest Shirt

I think everyone has some body shape flaw. Whether it's long arms that makes it so hard to find long sleeves or a long torso that makes every t-shirt a belly shirt. I happen to have both, and spend a lot of time making my own shirts as a result.

becomes

Messing with hemming knit material and making a collar takes a lot more time than I'm willing to spend on a t-shirt, so I generally find a men's large shirt that I like the design on, and cut it down to my size. I've found men's t shirts are first cheaper and second have more crazy designs.


First, flip your two shirts inside out and place the small one on top of the large one. Tuck the sleeves of the small one into the shirt so you get the basic shape.


Cut out the large shirt, following the lines of the small shirt.


Pin down the sides and sew 1/4 inch from the edge. I like to do a slight zigzag since t shirts are a little stretchy.


Next you line up the sleeve with the finished edge of the large sleeve and cut a similar shape out. Pin and sew the bottom.


With the shirt inside out, place the sleeve inside the shirt (also inside out so when you flip it all, it's all right sides together. Pin the sleeve into place. I use about 8 pins. Sew 1/4 inch from the edge.


Flip it out and enjoy! You can decorate using freezer paper or sew on different material, or whatever you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment