Friday, January 11, 2013

New Years Resolution: Clean the Machine

I got a new sewing machine for Christmas! It's a Bernina 125. It sews far better than the $150 Singer I got for Christmas 12 years ago. I love it so much! One of my New Years resolutions is to clean my machine twice a month.

I got 4 free classes teaching me how to use my new machine, and in it they said to clean and oil your machine after 8 hours of sewing or after you use up one bobbin. I would never calculate how many hours I have sewn strait, and I use too many colors to know when I've used up a bobbin, so I thought I would do it twice a month.

So I thought I'd show you how to clean out your machine too. I've taken pictures of my Bernina, and for shock factor my old Singer (which I have cleaned and oiled out once before in 12 years).

Bernina

First, remove the top plate.


Use your cleaning brush to dust out the top.


Next, open up the bobbin housing place and remove the bobbin. You will see a button on the left that you push to pop the bottom open.


Remove the bobbin thing by sticking your finger in and pulling it out. Dust everything out with your brush.


Now place a drop of oil in the bottom on the bobbin place.


Close everything up and you're done! Didn't take too long and your machine will run so much more smooth!

Singer

Remove the plate from the top.


Remove the Bobbin home by sticking your finger in and pulling it out. Dust everything with your brush (I found a lot of dust in this one...)


Place a drop of oil in the center groove (not the circle, the doughnut around the circle).


Put everything back together and you're ready to sew again!

No comments:

Post a Comment