Monday, October 22, 2012

Adding a leaf to the Yo-Yo


 Last week we learned how to make a Yo-Yo. Now I'll show you how easy it it so make and attach a leaf to the Yo-Yo to make it look like a flower. If I had a daughter, these would become hair clips, pins to go on clothes, etc. But I have a little guy who wouldn't appreciate being covered in flowers.


First, take the outside of the Yo-Yo maker and trace a circle. Cut it out, then cut it in half (this will make two leaves.


Sew across the top. I only did it by hand because I didn't feel like plugging in and setting up my machine just to sew on line. My son tends to get into my machine if I don't put it away after each use... Anyway, if you sew by hand make sure you tie off before the next step.


Flip the leaf inside out, and sew along the bottom (unfinished edge) of the leaf. You want to do this one by hand.


Pull the string tight, gathering up all the material. Sew above where you just sewed to strengthen the sewing. You can do this more than once if desired.


Now attache the leaf to the back of the flower, sewing down several times to give it strength.


Flip it over and you're done! You can attach these to a jacket, dress, headband, clip, or anything you desire. Or just stick it in your pin cushion to make you smile. That's where mine is sitting right now. I'll figure out what to do with it later.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I've got an idea in the works for yo-yo's. I struggle with adding them without feeling like a grandma. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ever used them before either, but I have an idea for a tiny little bag in the works. Like a change purse, but for my sewing supplies. They were really easy to make

      Delete